About Fine Silver
Fine silver (.999) is higher in purity than Sterling Silver. It's 99.9% pure silver.
Phylly from Sending Love Gallery used fine silver to create the beautiful textured drops in the amazing Ruby and Gemstone Earrings you'll see just above this sentence!
Art Jeweler NYC made the antique Egyptian look Fine Silver Ring shown above.
About Sterling Silver
Sterling silver (.925) is 92.5% pure silver with the other 7.5% alloy. The alloy is usually copper. This makes it harder and stronger, but also makes it tarnish more easily, which for jewelry makers means it's easier to give that lovely antiqued patina. It can also be soldered. Silver solder has more copper in it than sterling silver so it melts at a lower temperature.
Crystal Hartman made the intricate bracelet above from recycled sterling silver.
SilverSmack loves to add an antique patina and texture to many of her creations.
Both fine silver and sterling silver have their merits. Each is a beautiful metal with unique qualities. Each artist should consider these qualities before choosing which metal to use so they can be fully satisfied at the completion of their project.