- 2 cans black beans (I like organic and low sodium), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion (or whatever type you have on hand), roughly chopped
- 1/2 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (available in the ethnic foods aisle) - forewarning: I use half a can, but I love chipotle peppers and I love spicy! The adobo sauce is very spicy, so if you are not a fan of spice, you may use less or leave the adobo sauce out all together.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cumin - or to taste - as more or less as you like!
- Salt & pepper to taste (those are my Star Trek Enterprise shakers!)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg or egg white
- 1/2 cup corn off the cob (optional)
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa (optional) (add scan 1/4 cup more Panko is using)
- Buns or bread, whatever you have on hand
- Avocado for topping (the creaminess of the avocado helps to cut down the heat and combine to a really amazing flavor profile)
2. Move bean mixture to a large mixing bowl and add optional corn and salsa. Mix in bread crumbs and egg until incorporated. The mixture will be wet.