Saturday, February 27, 2016

What's on My Bench???

CUSTOM ORDER, PART II

My last WOMB post I completed part 1 of a male customer's custom order for a bracelet and matching necklace. Due to waiting on a shipment of supplies you only got to see the completion of the bracelet. This WOMB post will be Part 2 featuring the necklace. This necklace was super easy but it's always the super easy ones that will drive you bananas!

Let's first start with the supplies. Just like the bracelet, the necklace will feature red, black and green wooden beads. Unlike the bracelet the necklace will be strung on wire and fastened with a lobster clasp and jump rings.



As per the customer's request he wanted the necklace to be 26 inches long. I first cut the wire to the desired length and then secured 2 jump rings with a crimp bead.



From there it's time for the beads. Here's where it got tricky. As you can see from the picture shown below I strung the beads in the desired configuration but what you don't see from the photo is I took and restrung those same beads at least 3 times! This always seems to happen to me on the simplest projects.Finally I got the bead configuration correct for the desired length.



And ta-da it's done! Super simplistic and perfect for a man.




I went back after completing the necklace and added a 2 inch chain extension. It's something I've been doing recently because you will never know with a customer. They might want to a lil' longer then they first requested and you have to restring the entire thing. So I added a chain.




I'm happy to report even though I wasn't there to give the customer his custom piece when I did see him he was wearing them. He had a big grin on his face and even showed me both pieces. Mission accomplished.

10 comments :

Mollie Ann said...

Yup, isn't it always the simplest things that turn out to be the hardest? But what a super necklace for a guy! Good thinkin' on the extender chain.

Beadsme said...

Extender chains are a great idea. I have strung a necklace numerous times when a customer changes their mind on the length.

capitalcitycrafts said...

I almost always include a short (2-3") extender, it really simplifies thing! Great design !

jemsbyjb said...

Nice to know that he appreciated your efforts. Nice jOB11

Unknown said...

I also started doing extender chains about ten years back. Great idea!!!

Brooke said...

Another great project and happy customer, thanks for sharing!

babble on said...

Great piece. So true, the easiest can surely give you the hardest times.

LoveStoneArts said...

Good on you, marketing to male customers. I'm sure it looks awesome on him. We must get the guys to wear more jewelry. One dude at a time.

Gemstones on My Mind said...

Fantastic Gaetana! You must have been so pleased when you saw him wearing it!

SendingLoveGallery said...

love a happy ending!