"My dog Simba (top left, above) has a very sensitive stomach. After countless visits to the emergency vet and vet's office, he was given many medications which made him very sleepy and mushy - and it was upsetting to see him like that.
Eventually I had a chat with our vet and we agreed that making our own food and treats for Simba is the only way to go with him. Fortunately he's small, so it isn't much of a hassle! I make these treats for both my dogs and they just love them.
As you will see from the ingredients, there's nothing specifically doggy about them at all! If you adjust the recipe slightly you can enjoy them too - just don't use a dog bone cutter for the human ones! My daughter found our bone-shaped cookie cutter and at first we laughed about it, but in fact we use it a lot.
Some people might think I'm out of my mind making treats for my dogs, but since I started doing this my dogs haven't had any health problems - which makes us very happy because they bring our family so much joy. By the way, the rolling pin belonged to my grandmother, so it has been used to make many goodies through the years!
- One large sweet potato, boiled until very soft
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grounded ginger
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons water
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons uncooked oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon oat bran
- 1¼ cups unbleached flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- Mix all the ingredients together in a mixer
- Mix until you have a dough you can roll out (add a little flour if necessary)
- Roll the dough out thinly, so there'll be a crunch to them when cooked
- Cut out shapes using a cookie cutter - this quantity makes 70 treats with my dog bone cutter
- Bake in the oven at 325F for about 20 minutes, or until they start to brown slightly
I hope your pets enjoy these treats as much as my dogs do!
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Wednesday Kitchen - Michele's Dog Treats!
Welcome to another Wednesday Kitchen with the JET Team, as we share a rather unusual recipe! This week, Michele of MAlves1009 has a special treat in store for dogs as she shares her very own dog treat recipe which, she assures me, humans can also enjoy!