This week our JET Team member Gaiana, of BellaVeaJewelry shares a terrific recipe for gluten free choc chip cookies - and she says you won’t be able to tell they're gluten free!
"If you have to keep up a gluten free diet, then you understand the challenges of finding some great recipes that you can enjoy, or even simple foods that you grew up loving! You know those once in a while moments when craving grandma’s homemade mac & cheese, delicious birthday cake, or a simple as a chocolate chip cookie.
Yes, you can go to a store and purchase some gluten free cookies (it’s really nice to see more gluten free options available at stores). However, you know that nothing beats a homemade warm chocolate chip cookie that is so perfect with the right amount of crunch and softness!
The following recipe has been adapted from the “How Can It Be Gluten Free” cookbook by America’s Test Kitchen. This chocolate chip cookie comes out just as they claim, with crispy edges and a soft center, you would never know it is a gluten free recipe, and the cookies are delicious. Here is what you will need:
- 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips
Now, let's get baking!
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt in a medium bowl
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth
- Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla into the butter and sugar mixture until smooth
- Stir in the flour mixture, and mix into a soft, sticky dough
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Spoon small balls of dough onto prepared sheets, approx 2 inches apart
- Bake one sheet at a time, in centre of oven, for about 11-13 minutes
- Turn each sheet halfway through baking
- Remove from oven when golden brown and edges have begun to set, but centres are still soft
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack
- Serve warm, or at room temperature
- Best eaten on the day they are baked
Important note: The GF flour mix we used is Bob’s Red Mill GF All-Purpose Baking Flour, which is available in many grocery stores or can be purchased online. It is very important to use this flour blend, since all GF flour blends are different and will result in a different cookie structure."