This is a great meal for a working family, or if there are just two of you it will last a couple of days. My hubby and I work full time so when we get home we like to have a quick dinner then relax - so getting something together over the weekend means we have more time to cuddle up on the couch :)
My "throw it all in" recipe is kind to the purse - I can produce a meal that will last 2 days for only $20AUD (about $16 USD). You can also make different variations by adding onions, spices, any veggies, or other minced meat. It's an awesome recipe to play around with!
- 500g minced meat (beef for Cottage Pie, or lamb for Shepherds Pie)
- Couple of carrots, chopped in to small pieces
- Packet frozen peas and corn
- Potatoes (I used just a couple more than is pictured)
- Packet of cottage pie mix (optional – you could just use gravy)
- Tin chopped tomatoes
OK, let’s cook!
- Brown the mince
- Add mix or gravy, tin tomatoes and veggies
- Simmer for about 15 mins
- Pour meat mixture into pyrex or casserole dish/es (I use 2 pyrex dishes)
- Peel and chop potatoes, and boil until they are of a mashable consistency – usually about 20 to 30 minutes depending on size
- This is the time to sit and have a cuppa!
- Mash the potatoes – I add a bit of butter and a lot of grated cheese
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat/veg mixture
- Optionally, slice tomatoes and lay on top of the meat before adding the potatoes
- Now just put aside until dinner time
- To cook, preheat your oven to about 180C and pop your ready meal in for about 30 minutes
- I top my pie with more grated cheese, to make it golden and crispy on top
- Voila – yummmmmmmmmm!
You can serve this on it’s own, with more veggies or salad, or just smother it in gravy. I love serving with gravy - the child in me comes out and I mix it all together so it looks like mush!
Tip – when cooking the meat and veg if the mix seems watery add some gravy granules. If it looks too thick just add a bit of water
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Wednesday Kitchen - Shepherds Pie
In today's Wednesday Kitchen, our JET Team leader Mandy of BeadsMe writes all the way from Australia to share her recipe for "throw it all in" Shepherds Pie.