I had never made carrot cake before, as I figured it was difficult to make. And then I was invited to a get together with friends and family - I was asked to bring a dessert, and I knew they all liked carrot cake.
So, I thought I'd give it a try at last and - if it didn't work out - I knew I could always run and get something from the bakery!
For the Carrot Cake
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1¼ cups oil (I used canola)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (optional - I used walnuts)
- 1 cup raisins (optional - I left these out as my family don't care for them)
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, then set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, 2 tablespoons milk, oil, sugars and vanilla until firm
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix for about 2 minutes
- Add the grated carrots, nuts and/or raisins. Mix well until everything is combined
- Pour batter into floured cake pans - I used a double, but you can use any cake pan you like
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, turning and checking after 20 minutes
- While the cake is baking, make your frosting...
- In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, and mix until smooth
- Once the cake is cooled, add your frosting and sprinkle with nuts if you wish
To make sure I liked how this recipe turned out, I made a few mini cupcakes to taste. And I have to say, it came out really well!
When I walked in with the cake, everyone said "Oh, Carrot Cake! My favorite!", and they all loved it. I do hope you will try this recipe, and enjoy it as much as they did!
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Wednesday Kitchen - Carrot Cake
Happy Wednesday! This week in the JET Team kitchen, Michele of MAlves1009 shares her absolutely delicious recipe for carrot cake...