A few weekends ago I attended the Fraser Valley Bead Show in Burnaby, BC, Canada - I took all these photos at that show. I love attending bead shows, but they can be a bit overwhelming with all those shiny beads and tools.
The best parts of attending shows are the demos and classes, and seeing all the latest tools and materials all in one place. Here are some of the tips that I’ve gathered over the years, to help you get the most out of attending bead shows!
Watching a Kumihimo Demonstration
Before You Go:
- Take an inventory of what beads and supplies you have, and then make a list of what you need
- If you need specialty items, or if you are in dire need of a specific bead or supply, it's a good idea to contact some of the vendors beforehand - many of them will be happy to bring the supplies to the show for you
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes - you’ll probably be spending a lot of time on your feet!
- Check out the vendor list and mark down all the vendors (and their booth numbers, if available) that you don’t want to miss
- Take a notepad so you can make sketches, write down the booth numbers, and make a note of items and prices. My notepad has a useful pocket for business cards
A dazzling display!
When You Get There:
- Resist the temptation to spend all your money at the first booth!
- Take a quick look at all the booths before buying, to scope out the ones with the best quality and prices
- Sometimes you can get discounts if you buy a lot of items from each vendor - don't be afraid to ask vendors for volume discounts
- I also try to go on the last day to get the best prices, but be careful as you might miss out on the trendy items
- Most of all, have fun!
Observing a Soldering Demonstration
If you have some tips you'd like to share on visiting bead shows, please add them in the comments below - we'd love to hear them!
Thursday, May 14, 2015
Attending Bead Shows
Do you love going to gem and bead shows? Members of the JET Team definitely do! You may recall that not long ago Wanda visited the Treasures of the Earth Gem Show, and several of the team got together at the Tucson Gem Show. Today Kerry, aka WanderingJeweler, gives us her tips on how to get the best out of your visit to a bead show...