Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Wednesday Kitchen - Chicken Taco Soup

Welcome to Wednesday Kitchen, our new regular slot featuring favourite recipes from members of the JET Team! Today, Val shares a delicious soup recipe, and the lovely story behind it...
"When I was little, my mother would make a roast in a slow cooker. The roast was always a not-so-great cut of meat, that would cook all day in the slow cooker in a vat of tomato sauce. I called it 'stringy meat'. I did not like stringy meat. To me, that is all you could make in a slow cooker - stringy meat. So I vowed I would never own a slow cooker..."

Photo credit: raechelmyers.com

"Now, I've been married for 22 years. That's 22 slow cooker free years. Then, suddenly, I came across a couple of soup recipes that are made in a slow cooker. What's this? I thought. Something made in a slow cooker besides stringy meat? I simply had to try one out for myself!

Since there is only my husband and I to cook for, I did not need to purchase a giant slow cooker. But I did want a pretty one! So, I found a nice white slow cooker, with a black damask pattern on it, that is only 4.5 qts."


  • 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of kidney beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 can or corn drained
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 28oz can diced tomatoes with chillis
  • 1 8oz can of tomato sauce
  • 3 to 4 chicken breasts
  • Cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste

"For my inaugural recipe, I chose Chicken Taco Soup. The recipe above makes 4 to 6 servings, and it's very simple to make. Just put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, mix well, and cook on low for 8 hrs. I topped each bowlful with grated cheddar cheese and a spoonful of sour cream, and I'm happy to report my husband loved it!"

Photo credit: raechelmyers.com


17 comments :

Gaiane said...

This looks simple and delicious!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Erika said...

Mmmm, sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, Val!

Keystring said...

Definitely going to try this! Thank you for posting!

Unknown said...

Mmm, I can almost smell the soup!

Unknown said...

MMMM mmmmm GOOD! This would be PERFECT on a cold snowy day like today. I used to shy away from soup because it wasn't filling enough, but this recipe has some SUBSTANCE to it!!! Thanks for this recipe Val, can't wait to try it!!!

Mollie Ann said...

Ok. That does it. I'm getting a slow cooker!!!! Thanks for this yummy recipe!

SatinDollCo said...

This looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try this recipe.

capitalcitycrafts said...

Sounds simply divine, thanks for sharing!

mcrdesigns said...

This looks sooooo good!

Unknown said...

I love good, hearty slow cooker soups and this one is definitely going to be added to my collection. Thanks, Val.

Beadsme said...

Oh yummmm. I could do a big batch in my slow cooker for me and hub to last for days.

Unknown said...

Looks delish! A great recipe for a cold day like today!

WanderingJewel said...

Looks yummy, I'll have to make this in my slow cooker. BTW I love my slow cooker no stringy meat here.

jemsbyjb said...

This sounds delish. Going to try it soon.

Jennifer said...

I share her dislike of stringy meat from slow cookers and this soup sounds like redemption. I'm going to have to try it!!

LoveStoneArts said...

You are so sweet for sharing Val!! I'm inspired to get my slow cooker down from the top shelf because my microwave conked out and I dearly love soup!!

SendingLoveGallery said...

sounds great! thanks!