Monday, May 13, 2013

JET Artisan Profile:
Gaetana Parris of SatinDollCo

Hi! I'm Gaetana, and my shop on Etsy is SatinDollCo.

I attended and graduated from the Katherine Gibbs School with an Associate Degree in Fashion Design and Merchandising.

Although my main focus is designing women’s apparel, I decided to initiate company business with creating handbags and accessories.





 I'm a fashion designer by trade, and designing jewelry just fell into my lap one day.

I mentioned making earrings to my older sister and the next thing I knew she ordered a book for me. I skimmed the book to see what components I needed and that was it. I never really read the book. Ssh... Don't tell my sister!

I'm self taught. After purchasing everything I needed I free styled it. I used to play with beads for hours mixing and matching the colors to create unique combinations.


 On the left are one of my early earring designs.

I made my very first piece of jewelry shortly after I graduated college with my degree in Fashion Design and Merchandising in the summer of 2004.

I can't remember the exact color combination but it was a pair of glass beaded earrings. They were simple but cute.

I love making earrings, and I have a huge collection to choose from in my shop. I love big, bold style, like the pair you see below ...


 The Tribal Flowers Wooden Beaded Earrings on the right are fabulous for summer and beach wear! Light but a really nice size, these are so fashionable - and they'll definitely be noticed!

I do have a special love for earrings ...

My father has been a vendor in New York City - Brooklyn to be specific - for more than 30 years.

Shortly after I graduated college, while trying to find my first fashion design job I was working full time with my dad. He convinced me to make a bunch of earrings and sell them at his vendor location. Since they were so simple to make and the beads were so easy for me to get I sold them 1 pair for $3 and 2 pairs for $5.


They were a hit in no time. 

So earrings play a big part in the SatinDollCo shop.

And you'll find so many different types.

 I love working with natural materials like wood, shell, mother of pearl, and coco pukalet to name just a few.

Our Trek in the Desert Mother of Pearl Glass and Wood Beaded Dangle Earrings are just one beautiful example of what I can design by using natural materials. 


I'm an earring type of girl. I can't leave the house without a pair on, and I think every woman should wear them everyday too. So my favorite type of jewelry to make hands down is earrings.

But of course I do make other kinds of jewelry ... Bracelets and Anklets, Hair Accessories and more!

Me being a fashion designer has a huge influence on where and how I get my inspiration.

Everything is done by collections. I get inspired by everything; newspaper articles, movies, TV shows, plants, food, lands far away etc.

Normally when inspiration hits I have a sketch book somewhere close and I either write or sketch it down. I'll come back later and do detailed research about the era, culture and etc.

I'll then create a trend board or collage featuring pictures,inspiration, and color. From there I'll sketch my ideas. After that I'll most likely map out the materials I need, then purchase them.

Then each piece comes alive.


 My favorite tool would have to be my jewelry pliers. I can't make any piece without them. They are essential to everything I do.

The next jewelry making skill I want to learn is polymer clay. It's cool how something that used to be a lump of clay can be turned into something beautiful.

Square knot jewelry







The latest jewelry making technique I taught myself is the square knot or commonly known as the friendship bracelet technique.

It takes a steady hand and plenty of patience but overall I enjoy the look of the technique.

Find SatinDollCo here:

Etsy: SatinDollCo.etsy.com

Website: www.satindoll.biz

Blog: blog.satindoll.biz

Facebook: www.facebook.com/SatinDollCo

Twitter: twitter.com/SatinDollCo

Pinterest: pinterest.com/SatinDollCo

Instagram: instagram.com/SatinDollCo


19 comments :

Mollie Ann said...

Hey Gaetana, I've admired your jewelry such for a long time, and it's lovely to learn more about you!

Psst! You didn't need to read that book (but I won't tell you sister). ;)

capitalcitycrafts said...

Great shop, love your sense of design and color!

Michele said...

Very nice to get know Gaetana more, she has a bold and colorful chic shop which is always a delight to browse!! We'll keep your secret :)!!

jemsbyjb said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Love all the different designs you have in your shop. A wonderful story of how you started and where you are now. Cool blog feature!

LoveStoneArts said...

Gaetana, the "just do it" girl!! I love your spirit and it shines in your bold fashion jewelry. How wonderful to hear your story.

SendingLoveGallery said...

I enjoyed your blog post Gaetana! your excitement about design comes through in all your jewelry :)

Beadsme said...

Yayyyy Satin. You are such a gorgeous chick. Love your earrings and not forgetting your bags.

TheSilverBear said...

A great read - thanks to both Gaetana and Bob.

DG Jewelry Designs said...

Great designs by Gaetana. I'm lucky to have a pair of her beautiful earrings.

BlancheB said...

SO great getting to know everyone better!

Tracy said...

I just LOVE Gaetana's style! Bold, gorgeous, awesome. Just fabulous. I love learning about the background in Fashion!

WanderingJewel said...

Great post! I really enjoyed reading more about you.

Unknown said...

Hi Gaetana,

Love your story and your style, very fresh and alive and you are a beautiful girl! One day I hope to see you model one of your fashion designs with a matching purse and accessories...I bet it would be FAB!!
Donna

Unknown said...

What a terrific story and so much talent! I love that you utilize so many colors. They make your pieces so cheerful.

MadeByTammy said...

I love reading and learning more about you - Gaetana. Your shop is so full of Beautiful bold colors and fun! Can't wait to see what you do with polymer clay.

YourDailyJewelsBLOG said...

Fantastic profile! It is so nice to get to know more about you Gaetana! I love your style and can look through your shop endlessly.

Brooke said...

Great artisan profile Gaetana! I really enjoyed learning more about you and how you got your start with your sister and dad as inspiration.

Unknown said...

Gaetana, I feel like I know you so much better! Wonderful profile!

JillreOzmay said...

Beautiful Gaetana!
Beautiful jewelry!

Such a brave designer.. love it!